Thursday, June 26, 2008

Chronicles of Narnia

I decided that I need to find time for a good read again. Having a baby is kind of like hitting the reset button on life. All of your previous habits and routines go out the window and you start over. You add things back into your life one by one until you are normal again. Usually this takes a year for me.

Anyway, it was time for me to add reading back to my routine and so I started with an easy read. Chris pickup of the Chronicles of Narnia for me. It is one big book with the stories in the order they should be read, not the order they were published. While I have yet to read the last book, I have been floored by this childhood favorite. C.S. Lewis understood more truth than I had previously realized. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is allegorical to the atonement with Aslan as the Christ figure. This did not astonish me because the atonement is more discussed in the Bible and understanding this doctrine is central to Christian faith. What surprised me what his understanding of the creation. The book The Magician's Nephew is clearly a creation story. The story depicts the creation of Narnia from nothing to a world with light, land, water, plants, animals, and people. As I read I was amazed at the amount of truth that he understood. I would love to outline specific passages that struck me, but I hesitate. I feel as if the sacred would be too much on display. Instead, I post this here as a notice or invitation to read or reread C.S. Lewis' classic.

No comments: