Thursday, September 25, 2008

Traveling Gypsies

Occasionally on my mission we would encounter gypsies. They traveled from place to place with their few possessions, surviving on the generosity of others. For the past few days my kids and I have resembled a band of traveling gypsies as we tried to survive with no air conditioning.
Friday night I came home to find out that my AC had died. The house was cool enough that we were able to sleep there that night, but before noon the next day it became clear that our A/C problem was not a quick fix and we had to abandon our house. We spent Saturday and Sunday hanging out with my mother-in-law at her house. I am lucky enough to have a good relationship with her and I actually consider her one of my friends. A bonus from this portion of our stay was that we got to spend time with Aunt Whitney and her boyfriend Tyler, and Aunt Devin who made the drive out to see us and eat dinner with us. I made the Cowboy Bean recipe. Thanks Cheryl. Sunday night we spent the night at home, but it was just to hot for me and the kids to sleep well even with all the windows open and fans going. I had no idea what I was going to do. Chris is gone basically all day, so it was up to me to figure out how and where to take care of the kids.

Rachel John was nice enough to let us spend a few hours and a nap time with her on Monday morning. The kids had a blast playing with all the "new" toys.


I think Craig and Mikey had a great time playing together. But like their fathers, this was as close as we could get them to a hug. Mikey even gave up his crib for Laney. He was such a trooper.

We next went to Wal-Mart. I figured we could hang out there until I could figure out what to do next. On the verge of panic, I received a couple calls that provided for us. From then on, I never had to worry about where to go or what to do. Thanks Tisha for letting us come over and especially for hosting playgroup. That is an undertaking.

I have to say a huge thank you to the Rose family. Their hospitality was humbling. They took us in to their house and provided us with food and a cool place to stay. They made us feel so welcome. We ended up spending two nights with them. Ariana gave up her room for Craig and Abigail and she shared her bike and other toys with them.
Craig trying to keep up with Abigail and Ariana.
The girls taking turns.

Through this experience I have come to this resolve. I want to be able to return the hospitality that was shown to me. I will never be able to repay the families that upset their own schedules to help me, but I hope one day to be able to pass it forward. In years to come I will look back on this experience and expect more of myself. Thank you to everyone who opened their doors and also those that just offered to do so. The phone calls and the concern was very appreciated. Please keep me in mind the next time you need a favor. I am due to provide some service.

PS I need a "Ticket to Ride" rematch. A tie is no good.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: