Saturday, June 19, 2010

Kindergarten's over and Summer Begins

Her first year is done. This is my oldest receiving her awards at the end of the year. She recieved an award for perfect attendance, honor roll and the Confidence award. Each of the kids received an award based on their skills. I admit I was a little surprised when another little girl earned the Bookworm award, but that girl is now in our ward and can be her friend.
I guess I should explain that our wards were recently realigned as they finished construction on a beautiful new church building about a mile from our home. Two new wards were formed and the one we now belong to went through some major changes. Some pros include the two girls that are now in our ward that she attends school with. Chris maintained his calling while I was released from mine of almost 4 years. With the smaller wards I knew it wouldn't be long before I was called to something again, but I was hoping to skip the first week since I knew that was when they would be reorganizing presidencies. That was not the case and I was called as a counselor in the Primary. Since we were married I taught Laurels for a year and have spent the remainder of my time in a presidency. I joke that I either have one set of talents or I don't. Either I know how to do only one thing right, or I still haven't learned how to serve in a presidency. I think it is the later because I am feeling sufficiently small at the moment. I am over Nursery with about 20 kids in it and there are 70 in the primary. It is a daunting task. Before I was sustained I got Abigail's party to do.
She decided she wanted a Mystery Party. The kids came and played sneaky musical chairs to the Pink Panther music, they practiced their observation skills, and learned how to write secret messages.
Then they were sent on a real mystery where they had to put together the clues to find the missing birthday cake. Here they are literally putting the clues together. They had to piece together the puzzle because the clue was on the back.
After a few more clues they found the cake hidden in the fridge.

The kids all seemed to enjoy themselves, but most importantly the birthday girl had a great time. I am glad that birthday season in my home is over. In the next month I just have my dad and all of my siblings. No big deal right?!

2 comments:

Amber Miskin said...

Love the mystery party idea! Cute! And I think you are probably just very good at being in a presidency! I'm sure you'll do great in primary and being over the nursery! Just make sure my boys are happy! :)

Cheryl said...

Good luck in Primary, you'll be great! I often thought that I must not be learning something as a Laurel advisor as I had been called to that calling in 5 of 7 wards. In our new ward I thought for sure when the had a new YW presidency that I would be going in as laurel advisor. But I'm gospel doctrine teacher now, much more daunting....can I be laurel advisor again? :) I heard you guys were left with very few primary kids but 70 is still a good size!